Unity can import SketchUp files directly and is very easy to use:
- Start Unity with the Asset Importer project.
- Create a folder with a suitable name under Assets in your Asset Importer project
- Copy your SketchUp file into this folder.
- Select your file and look at the Inspector panel. (Example image on the right)
- You may need to check "Generate Back Face" if your model seems to be missing faces.
- If you have any cameras in your scene, make sure you uncheck "Import Cameras" as these might cause conflicts.
- If the scale of the model appears wrong, you may need to adjust the "Unit conversion" parameter.
- In many cases, your model will now be ready.
- Create an empty scene to test your model.
- Drag the sketchup file from the Project view into the Hierarchy view or the Scene view.
- You should now see your model in the Scene view.
- You can make further changes to your model now: you might want to add or change materials, etc. See other guides for how to do this.
- As SketchUp is often used for architectural models, you should select any meshes that you might want to walk on and change their layer to Ground.
- Once you are happy with your model, save it as a new prefab by dragging it from the Hierarchy view into your folder in the Project view.
- You are now ready to test this by committing it to the local repository.
Further details about using Unity's SketchUp importer can be found here.
Importing as a Scene
SketchUp is often used to model buildings and environments. For these, it is often more appropriate to import a whole scene which can then be used as a stage inside FirstStage.
In this case, you can just take the scene you created earlier to test the model in and give it a memorable name and import the whole scene:
- Select the scene in the Project view
- Go to the FirstStage view
- Click Import.
- Make sure the Local repository has been selected as destination while we're testing it.
- Click Commit.
- It should now be available inside FirstStage.
You might also find the guide on importing scenes helpful.